The latest version of Joomla 3.5 makes use of PHP 7 which can give your website a major speed boost. A large number of web hosting companies now support PHP 7 and it’s pretty easy to enable this version of PHP via Cpanel. This tutorial will show how to make your website go super fast by taking advantage of the new performance enhancements incorporated into the latest version of PHP 7
Step 1: Upgrade to the latest version of Joomla 3.5
Before you enable php 7 via cpanel you first need to upgrade the website to latest version of Joomla 3.5.
To upgrade the website complete the following
- Read the article we have created how to update to the latest version of joomla
- Watch our step by step Joomla 3.5 upgrade video tutorial we have created.
Step 2: Log into the web hosting Cpanel
Once you have successfully updated the website to the latest version of 3.5 you now need to log into your web hosting cpanel.
Step 3: Select PHP 7
Now you have logged into cpanel complete the following steps
- look for the icon select php version.
- Click on the icon and choose PHP 7.0 from the drop down list
- press the button "set as current version"
- After you have selected the "set as current version button" you should now see "current version PHP 7.0"
Note if something should go wrong you can easily switch back to the previous version of PHP by following the above process.
Step 4: Confirm Joomla is running on PHP 7
To final step is to confirm the website is running on PHP 7 to do this complete the following steps
- Log into the administrator area of your Joomla website.
- Select the system menu
- System information menu
- Choose the PHP Information tab
- You should now see the PHP version to confirm Joomla is running on PHP 7
- One other thing you should notice is that your website is super fast .